A huge shout out to Jon Swanson for this inspiration. I enjoy reading Jon’s blog “300 words a day” for his wisdom. This post however, hit the nail on the head for me.
You see, I realized I hadn’t done my Three Words for 2013 yet and was struggling to generate any resolutions. And I was pretty ok with that. What I learned last year is that “big goals” don’t always work for me. I need actionable change that I can do incrementally, as I have time, that transform into habits.
Enter Jon’s list of items to select from every Monday. The result: 52 actions. In a row.
I’m on it. How about you?
There is still time to make this statement: “I’ve done this every Monday in 2013.”
All you have to do is one of these:
- Tell your child/children you are grateful they are alive.
- Ask God for wisdom for the decisions you have to make this week.
- Drink a large glass of water.
- Read Psalm 19.
- Write an encouraging email to a friend.
- On a scrap of paper, write one thing you want to implement from a sermon you heard on Sunday. Tape it to your monitor.
- Look at the sunrise. Or sunset.
- Read one chapter from the book that is on the top of your reading pile.
- Look in the mirror and say, “I glad that God made you.”
- Eat 100 calories less than you otherwise would.
- Hand $5 to someone that you don’t own money to.
- Unsubscribe from an e-newsletter that isn’t helping you as much anymore.
- Make a list of six things that have to be done by Friday.
- On a scrap of paper, write the name of one person you want to ask God to help. Tape it to your mirror.
- Extra difficulty: On a scrap of paper, write the name of one person who annoys you (or is trying to undermine you) and tape it to your mirror. Then ask God to bless them.
- Put a 90 minute appointment for thinking and writing on NEXT Monday’s calendar. (It’s too late for the 90 minutes today. But you can schedule it.)
- Clean one pile off your desk.
- Defer to someone else’s wishes for one specific thing.
- Unprocrastinate on one project.
- Stop. For 15 minutes.
You can fill in your own action. Just pick something. This offer expires at midnight, your time, on January 7, 2013. But if you start on January 14, you can still say “I’ve done this almost every Monday in 2013.”
The result? 52 actions. In a row.